In wearing jewellery, you have to make sure that the materials do not cause allergic reactions with your skin. Regardless of the type of jewellery, whether it is a personalised handprint necklace, a diamond bracelet or pearl earrings, some people can become allergic to them due to several reasons. One can be because of their body chemistry, or their skin is sensitive to certain metals. Here are some ways to tell if you are allergic to jewellery and how you can avoid it.
Nickel is one of the main culprits of jewellery allergies. Contact dermatitis is the term for skin allergy, which can happen if the skin comes in contact with allergens, such as nickel, dust and such. Some jewellery contains nickel, and once you develop an allergy to the metal, you will always be allergic to it, and you have to avoid contact with the metal to prevent future allergies.
These are the signs to look out for to tell if you are allergic to your jewellery or not. The allergic reaction may happen hours, even days after wearing a specific piece of jewellery. The allergic reaction can last for days or weeks. The thing about nickel allergy is that it does not only appear in the area where you wore the jewellery; it can also manifest in other areas.
- Red rashes or bumps on the skin.
- Itching, which can be mild or severe.
- Change in skin colour.
- Patches of dry skin, which can look like burns.
- For severe cases, blisters can appear.
If your skin allergy is new, it is advisable to go to a dermatologist so they can take a look at your skin and accurately diagnose you and prescribe the right treatment plan. But if you are quite sure that it is nickel allergy, you can use the medication that your doctor previously prescribed you and take it as directed. If simple allergy ointments and medication fail, it is time to go to the hospital as the allergy can progress quickly. If these things happen, head to the emergency room right away.
- Pain in the area.
- Extreme redness and raw skin.
- Pus in the area.
Some factors can make you allergic to nickel more than some people. Here are some.
- Being female. Just by being a woman you can be more prone to nickel
allergy than men.
- Family history. If other family members are allergic to nickel, chances are
that you will be too.
- Being allergic to different types of metal. If you have a sensitivity or allergy
to other metals, you can be allergic to nickel as well.
If your jewellery is the cause of your skin allergy, it is wise to stop using it, as continued exposure to the allergen can make your skin break, causing it to scar, which can become another problem for you. If you are unsure if a piece of jewellery will make your skin react, research its contents, if it contains nickel, then do away with it.